Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dragon in the House!

The year of the dragon has rolled in and shortstack is having a blast celebrating its arrival! In school and among our network of friends, the Chinese Zodiac and Astrology are observed and honored. For many reasons, Hawai’i is an amazing place to raise a family, but one of the aspects that I value the most is the intercultural exposure that shortstack is surrounded by. Over the past two weeks, shortstack’s class has been exploring the year of the dragon and how the Chinese culture acknowledges and honors this passage of time and new year. They have crafted their own dragon heads, learned and exchanged the proper New Year’s greetings in Chinese, and read and wrote their own stories about the Dragon dance parades. 

our little dragon has a might RAWR!!!

The year of the dragon is said to be a lucky year and fortuitous for many people. Our little ‘ohana includes a Rooster (shortstack), a tiger (Panda) and a rabbit (Mama); supposedly, all of us are to have a prosperous and love-filled year with expectations of successes provided that we are diligent in our work and efforts. WOOHOO!! That’s the kind of horoscopes that make me smile!

I don’t know how watertight horoscopes can be, but I do know that I possess many of the traits that rabbit-born people are said to have. Pisces is my western astrological sign, and I definitely embody many Piscean traits as well. So, this family-loving, easily-distracted, indulgence-seeking, book-reading, creative-aspiring, emotional and expressive homebody is hoping that this year proves to be filled with the good fortune that is predicted. But if it isn’t, as long as my family and friends surround me, our home remains our haven and I can make a mess in the kitchen whenever I wish, I’ll consider it a year well-spent. 

Here’s to hoping that this dragon year is filled with good fortune and amazing adventures for you and yours!

Although a little late (no one said that rabbits ran on-time!), gung hei faat choi!

shortstack's got some rhythm!
 

1 comment: